In December 2008, as part of the real time strategic change process, Local 1000 member-leaders and staff created the union-wide goal of establishing the Local 1000 Volunteers Program in order to be relevant in all areas of our members' lives and totally relevant to the public we serve. Since establishing the Local 1000 Volunteers Program, member & staff volunteers have helped:
- Build homes with Habitat for Humanity
- Clean up waterways during the Urban Creeks Council Creek Week
- Offer free tax preparation to the low-income Californians through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program
- Organize and host foreclosure prevention workshops with Hope Against Hope
- Donate and deliver thousands of turkeys to food drives across the state.
- And much more
In the coming months, look for Local 1000 Volunteers to make an impact in your community by partnering in community fairs, participating in fun runs for worthy non-profits and joining other community groups in their efforts to improve our neighborhoods, cities, county and state. If you know of an event or charity you think Local 1000 should be helping, drop us a line so we can roll up our sleeves and get to work!